NSU’s Office of Suicide & Violence Prevention has published their April 2012 Quarterly Newsletter. Inside this edition:
- Glee Takes a Chance – The winter finale of the popular FOX television show tackles the treatment of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender students in schools.
- Learn about NSU’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Completely confidential assistance is available and up to 6 sessions per year are FREE.
- School Safety 101 – Now more than ever, everyone needs to take a proactive stand. Read this interesting article on Making Our Schools a Safer Place.
- Suicide Prevention – Know who to call in times of crisis.
- Suicide and Violence Prevention Spotlight – Douglass Flemons, Ph.D.
Staffed by Scott Poland, Ed. D., Douglas Flemons, Ph.D., Erin Procacci, Ph.D., Genevieve LaFleur, Psy. D., and Oren Schwartz, graduate assistant in the Office of Suicide and Violence Prevention, the Suicide and Violence Prevention staff is devoted to creating a safety net at NSU, helping to prevent suicide and violence.
The most effective ways to prevent suicide and violence are to know the warning signs, take them seriously, and help the individual access the appropriate resources. For more information on the Office of Suicide and Violence Prevention and services offered, visit http://www.nova.edu/suicideprevention.