Join us for a free fun-filled day of storytelling, live shows, arts and crafts, face-painting and unique visits with some of your favorite storybook characters! This year’s theme is Island Tales, and we are highlighting some of the cultural diversity of our south Florida community with music and stories.
Sunday, March 10, 2019
11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Enjoy the sounds of steel bands and Junkanoo and performances by
- Award-winning reggae musician Aaron Nigel Smith educates, empowers, entertains and inspires kids to sing, dance and play at this fun, high-energy show.
- Internationally touring family musician and teaching artist Alina Celeste shares a joyous blend of music for young children in English and Spanish.
- Salty Sue – a seriously silly pirate – brings music, magic, original sea tales and a boatload of pirate lore to her storytimes, where the real treasure is in the books.
- Lucrece Louisdhon-Louinis shares Haitian, Caribbean and African stories, songs and rhymes with live drumming and clapping games for families in three languages: English, French and Haitian-Kreyol.
- Meet award-winning authors and storytellers, Mitch Weiss and Martha Hamilton! Renowned for their dynamic presentations of world tales, they’ve written more than 20 books for young readers, including the 2018 Geisel Honor-winning Noodleheads See the Future.
Every child who attends gets to take home a free book from an array of titles carefully selected by our Alvin Sherman Librarians. They spend a lot of time curating a high quality, fun collection with lots of kid-appeal, and all that hard work is paid off when we see the look of joy on children’s faces as they select their free book for their home library
So what can you do to get your child ready for StoryFest?
- RSVP today! Your RSVP helps us make this free family event a success! (RSVP online is currently under construction but check back on our site to see when it will open up)
- Sign-up for our library card! You support free and wonderful events like these by having a free Alvin Sherman Library Card.
- Share the fun! Make plans to bring family and friends and consider carpooling (there is no charge for parking that day, but space is limited).
- Explore the Caribbean with our Island Tales Booklist! Enjoy folktales from Haiti, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Trinidad, Martinique, and the Dominican Republic.
- Check for updates! Find us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Help us spread the word by liking and sharing!
Meagan Albright, Youth Services Librarian III at the NSU Alvin Sherman Library. From Storytime to STEM to StoryFest!, Meagan has loved bringing children and families to the library, and library resources to the south Florida community, for over 12 years.