CLEARWATER, Fla. – After leading the way over all four days of competition, the Nova Southeastern men’s swimming team earned the Sunshine State Conference crown on Sunday afternoon at the Long Center. With their third consecutive championship title, the Sharks have now won five championships in program history. Additionally, for the third-straight year, Nova Southeastern brings home the Women’s Swimmer of the Meet award, as Emma Sundstedt tallied 77 points, helping the women’s side to a silver-medal finish.
INSIDE THE MEET:
FINAL WOMEN’S SCORES: Nova Southeastern Sharks (939) – 2nd place
FINAL MEN’S SCORES: Nova Southeastern Sharks (852.5) – 1st place
LOCATION: The Long Center | Clearwater, Fla.
FOLLOW US: @NSUSHARKS on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube
TOP INDIVIDUAL PERFORMERS:
- Sundstedt earned the first gold for the Sharks in the 1650 freestyle, posting a meet-record and B-cut time of 16:37.53.
- Bernardo Abascal and Vincent Lijoi earned the silver and bronze, respectively, with their times of 15:39.22 and 15:40.23, also B-cuts.
- Alec Dawson grabbed the win in the men’s 100 freestyle, topping the competition in 44.36, another provisional time recorded by NSU.
- The women’s 400 freestyle relay team comprised of Kaylee Gassen, Amilia Nusbaum, Laurel Fink and Jenna Johns earned the silver with a provisional time of 3:24.95.
- On the men’s side of the 400 free relay, Julian Coster, Johnathon Yanello, Magnus Poulsen and Dawnson finished in third with their provisional time of 2:58.59.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the men’s 100 freestyle preliminaries, Dawson (44.52) and Coster (44.74) earned first and second place, respectively, to send themselves to the A-final in the evening. Both times were NCAA B-cuts.
The Sharks will continue to prepare for their postseason run, and will travel to Indianapolis, Ind. to compete in the 2018 Div. II NCAA National Championships.
SHARKS ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
Follow along with live updates on Twitter by following @NSU_Swim.